Go Back   Knifemakers Guild Forums > Public Forums > Old Timers of the Guild
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2010, 09:27 AM

Default Frank Vought, Jr. Knives

Greetings,

My name is Jeremiah Vought. My grandfather was the late Frank Vought, Jr. of Hammond, LA. He was a member of the guild until his passing in 1995.

I am trying to locate some of his knives or additional information about them. I have found one gentleman possibly interested in selling 2 of my grandfater's knives from the Outfitter line. While they are of value to me because of the craftsman, I unfortunately do not know their market value, and am having trouble knowing what a fair offer would be.

Any information which current members might be able to provide about these knives or in general about my grandfather and his work would be sincerely appreciated. Please give your pardon if this is the wrong section of the forums to post this sort of question.

Here are pictures of the specific knives.

Last edited by Jnvought : 06-02-2010 at 09:43 AM.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:12 AM
KMG Member

I knew your grandfather slightly. He made a knife for me (probably in the 80's). He was a craftsman and good to deal with. I really don't have a good idea of the value of his work now, but I suspect that this knife would be of lesser value than his custom work. If you will check the Associate Members section of this web site you will see some purveyors listed. These folks may have one or more of his knives, and will have a better idea than most as to their worth. Try e-mailing one or more of them.

L. Bray
Old 06-06-2010, 11:21 AM

Thank you so very much for your reply and information. The gentleman selling these is asking $800 for the two knives, which from what I have seen so far, seems a bit high for "non-custom" work. It is entirely possible that I am incorrect however and I will check with the folks of which you spoke.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:54 AM

Default Frank Vought knives

Jeremiah: I am lucky to own several knives made by your grandfather. The first one I purchased directly from him (Yellowjacket straight clip blade with cast handle). I spoke with him several times. He indicated his poor health. The other knives were purchased secondhand in the following years. I have paid between $ 90 and $ 150, and would easily have paid $ 200 for any one of them. They are very well made. Steel is ATS 34.

I have several photos of my knives that I will attempt to attach.
I also have a catalog from around 1992 that I can make available.

Bruce
Old 07-01-2010, 01:04 AM

Default Frank Vought knives

The top knife is the Bonito. 5 inch blade, full double edge, paper micarta scales. The catalog calls it the graduated finger groove handle

The second is a Yellowjacket. 4.5 inch blade, cast handle

The top knife is a Yellowjacket. 7 inch blade, thick steel guard

The bottom knive is the Bay Natchez. 6 inch blade, double edge
This one looks like it has had some use
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bonito and yellowjacket.jpg (29.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg yellowjacket and bay natchez.jpg (54.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-26-2010, 01:30 AM

Default Vought Knives

I have two of your grandfather's knives, purchased at the New Orleans Jazzfest, probably in subsequent years, dates unknown. They are small, approx. 5" long, with beautiful wood handles & kydex sheaths, & like new. I probably paid $80 or $90 each, but can't recall for sure. Send me your e-mail address & I'll send you a photo & you can let me know if you are interested in having them. <mid@austin.rr.com>
Old 12-10-2010, 07:17 PM

Default Have a custom F Vought Knife if your interested!

I have a custom knife made by F vought, I recieved it from my grandmother who's previous husband was a knife and gun collector. It is in a box that says it won some type of award i cannot remember it off the top of my head i will put a picture on here if your interested. It is in a wooden box looks brand new and has a beautiful wooden handle and 5 inch blade. Let me know if your still interested i am looking to sell it.